A Short History Of BMW Company
BMW AG is the parent company of the BMW Group, a globally operating German car and motorcycle manufacturer based in Munich.
The product range includes the automobile and motorcycle brands BMW, the car brands Mini and Rolls-Royce as well as the BMW sub-brands BMW M and BMW i.
The company has made a name for itself under the brand BMW, especially since the 1960s, as a manufacturer of high-priced, comfortably equipped and well-motorized touring cars with a sporting ambition, making it one of the so-called premium manufacturers.
In addition, the Mini brand uses retro models to target younger, lifestyle-oriented customers, while Rolls-Royce produces low-priced luxury sedans in small numbers.
The engine construction department and the old company name were sold in 1922 and incorporated into the 1916 founded AG, which has since been known as BMW.
With sales of € 94.2 billion and around 125,000 employees (2016) , the BMW Group is one of the largest commercial enterprises in Germany.
With an annual production of 2.36 million vehicles in 2016, it is one of the world’s top 15 automakers. The company is both master – and preferred shares on the stock market listed, the ordinary shares in Germany’s benchmark DAX is represented. Now get more information about BMW parts reviews.
In the Forbes Global 2000 of the largest listed companies occupies BMW place 40 (as of 2017). The company hit a market value of more than $ 72 billion in mid-2018.The following persons were Chairmen of the Board of Management.
In 1923 Max Friz and Martin Stolle developed the first BMW motorcycle, the R 32, thus laying the foundation for a new production line: motorcycles.
Friz needed only five weeks to design the R 32. To date, the basic principle of this motorcycle has been preserved: Boxer engine and cardan drive in double tube frame .From 1924 aircraft engines were again manufactured. The 1930 National Railroad – Ausbesserungswerk Hanover Leinhausen built “Rail Zeppelin “was from a BMW VI driven -Motor.
In the factories in Munich and Eisenach were built “heavy Wehrmacht team” (motorcycles BMW R 75 with driven sidecar) and between 1937 and 1940 the lightweight all-terrain vehicle BMW 325. The latter had to be produced by Stoewer and Hanomag in accordance with specifications of the Wehrmacht in a largely identical construction.
In 1938, the Argus Motoren Gesellschaft of the Jewish manufacturer Moritz Straus was “Aryanized”, which led to the creation of BMW Plant II in Munich-Allach.
BMW used over 17,000 forced laborers and concentration camp prisoners to expand the plant and manufacture aircraft engines there. They were housed in forced labor camps and in the Allach concentration camp of the Dachau concentration camp.